Thursday, September 13, 2007

What's in a word?


This word is so loaded. So many implications. It stirs up so many emotions. Most people can't say it or hear it.

I have chosen it to represent me. It is my spiritual name. My label, in a society that labels me patriarchally (my father's name, my husband's name). It is my way of re-MEMBER-ing who I am. It is my way of re-MIND-ing others of the choices available. It is my way of embracing my feminine, my YIN energy. It is me opening up to the essence of being a woman.


What is a
GODDESS?

To me, it is the merging of my INNER CHILD with my FEMININE ESSENCE.

And what does that really mean? Well, applying the KISS Method - keeping it short and simple.

INNER CHILD: wise soul that inhabits your body

FEMININE: having qualities and/or attitudes traditionally associated with women.
Well, that definition of FEMININE just answers it all for me - NOT!!!

ESSENCE: nature or quality of something

I am still trying to figure this out for myself as I navigate through what our society and environment (thank you 4th Estate a/k/a media) bombards us with as FEMININE.

By the age of seven, I was already deeply indoctrinated in the PRINCESS mythology (my gratitude to Walt Disney). Well, actually, let's give thanks to the Grimms Brothers and their fairy tales .... I am beginning to see a pattern.... and that gave me an image, a taste for what a girl was supposed to be when she grew up - and pictures paint a thousand words in solidifying meaning of a word.

My nieces are all indoctrinated Princesses (and they have so many "role models" to choose from - Aurora, Ariel, Cinderella, Snow White).

Yet, they are GIRLs (Goddesses in Real Life) instead. I wonder where they will see this image so they can build healthy self-esteem and individuality instead of trying to be wannabe princesses.

2 comments:

CroneGoddess Margo said...

Goddess Diana

I love your Blog. It is your personal life's experiences that allowed youto to share your definitions that are clear, and will become mine.
Love Crone

ReachDabbleShine said...

Thank goddess that you are in their lives :-)