Wednesday, October 31, 2007

MY NAME


What is that?
I did not choose it.
It was given to me.
It has implications.
My parents named me after another

And yet, a name has mystical value.
Meaning that is not always apparent at first glance.

Two names we are given.

One chosen by others and a family name to carry forth.
First, it was my father’s.
And then
it was my husband’s.
And then when I remarried, STOP!!!
No more aliases.
No more identifying and branding.

Enough is enough.

I am not to be known by my father.
I am not here to bring forth a his-story.

I choose to do something different.
I choose to name my own vessel.

I went to Court to file a petition
Asked by the Judge to state my grounds
This is the first step towards ultimate goal
of emancipation from the Patriarchy

It is who I am, It is my name
He signed t
he order & shook my hand
I never met a Goddess before.
I smiled - a Goddess gave birth to you.
She just had a different name.

1 comment:

CroneGoddess Margo said...

I SAT YES GODDESS. YOU SAY IT SO WELL.
Telling Herstory..Yours, mine, ours.
I say GODDESS GO GODDESS GO GODDESS